A donation to A Better Chance for Our Children will help provide a child in need with a stable and loving home, will provide the family with ongoing support FREE of charge, and allows us to offer free trainings, recreational groups for adopted children, and support groups for the entire family!
About A Better Chance for Our Children
Mission: Our Mission:
Our mission is to provide training and support to foster and adoptive families and their children in the State of Delaware.
• To find permanent, loving families for waiting children.
• To provide education about our waiting children, all who have special needs.
• To nurture and support our resource families.
• To increase community awareness about waiting children, as well as adoption and foster care in general.
We serve as the connection between waiting children and loving families. We provide foster care services to children in the Delaware Foster Care System. We represent prospective adoptive families to agencies who are caring for waiting children.
- We celebrate and welcome all interested applicants as precious potential family resources for the children who wait.
- We acknowledge the dignity of the individual—the strength and power within each of us—the potential of the applicant to provide stability and nurturance to a child. We practice acceptance of differences. We are respectful of and committed to our families. We presume health and wholeness in our applicants.
- We see our role as being supportive in nature. We enter into an alliance with our families as opposed to an unequal, adversarial relationship. We do not “play God”. We do not make decisions for our families.
- We are humble in the face of the tremendous privilege we are given to help create families and acknowledge the duty to nurture these families, as needed, over time. Our availability to our families has no end point.
- We are risk-takers on behalf of the children. We know the pain of a foster care or adoptive placement that doesn’t work out, but we also know the tremendous reward of the majority which are successful. We agree to continue to risk even in the face of the hurt the children bring and the despair parents can experience as a result. We invest ourselves in our families.
- We work hard at maintaining and sharing a sense of humor.
- We believe we act as a conduit whereby children and parents come together. We acknowledge, with humility, the compelling and powerful nature of our work. The successful adoptive placement for a child has profound effects over generations and has a positive impact on society as a whole.
- We believe parents find the children they are meant to raise. The children will challenge families and us, as well as teach all of us about ourselves. This can be very difficult at times.
- We provide visibility for the children who are waiting and help give these children a voice by providing them with family of their own.
- We practice honesty in our relationships with our families and count on the same in return. We are truthful. We provide full disclosure to our families.
- We continually learn from our adoptive parents and their children about how to better serve our families.
A Better Chance for Our Children welcomes ALL interested applicants as prospective resources for children waiting for a family. We acknowledge and respect the dignity and difference of each individual and the potential of each applicant to nurture and provide for a child.
- Resource Family Preparation Classes
- Family Counseling focused on foster care and adoption
- Our nationally recognized Rec-N-Respite Program for adopted children
- Specialized parenting education classes
- Monthly Support Groups
- Ongoing support for any family touched by adoption